Sunday, August 16, 2009

Let Your Light Shine


While sitting in the DFW airport, I was struck at the darkness surrounding us. Many of the travelers seemed weary, worn, and worldly. As I watched the “gay” crowd around us, fear and anxiety bombarded my thoughts. What will become of our nation? Only by God’s grace will our family escape the rebellion around us. More questions continued to enter my mind. Will our family ever be an effective light? Will our family ever be that city set on a hill so that others may come to know You?



As I boarded the plane, I whispered a prayer, “Lord, please show me just one Christian aboard this plane?” Deep down, I knew He would answer, although I immediately forgot I even prayed that prayer! Finally, after reaching our row, which was, of course, at the back :( I struggled to find a place for our multitude of carry-ons. Going from bin to bin, I became frustrated. Suddenly, a young man jumped up and asked to help. He immediately took control. After opening bins and rearranging people’s luggage, he created a home for our bags. Forever grateful, I returned to my seat.




Shortly after take off, I noticed this same man reading the Bible to his wife. He read and read and read. Then he read “Through Gates of Splendor” to his wife. He read and read and read. What a loving couple they were. The way they looked at each other and held one another, their love was clear and evident not only to us, but to a lost world.




Thank you, Lord. You answered my prayer. Another Christian aboard the plane (someone to pray with in case of emergency!), and a great example to my children.




To conclude, Laurie recently asked me about requirements for a husband. One of God's requirements for marriage, my beloveds, is that a Christian marry a Christian. Do it God’s way! Boys, seek to be the spiritual leaders like this man. What a servant! What a contrast he was to the many others in the airport! He was a city set on a hill. He was a light in the darkness. That is my prayer for you, my beloveds! By God’s grace will we mature and love Him in this way.

Matthew 5:16
Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Tongue of Disciples Copyright © 2009 Flower Garden is Designed by Ipietoon for Tadpole's Notez Flower Image by Dapino